In our original group meeting I suggested that we form orientation groups based on division of the major and that each group be color coordinated and named (Limestone Orange, Limestone Green, etc). this would serve the purpose of activities i.e., 9:00 am Limestone Orange takes English placement exam, Limestone Green and Limestone Red meet for study skills session. Each group would wear tee shirts with the appropriate color. Additonally, to build some group cohesion have groups compete against each other in non-competitive endeavors such as the old keep the large ball aloft (games that encourage cohesion among group members).
The next part of this is that on Tuesday evening before classes start we have a orientation completion ceremony and welcome the new students into the Limestone Blue and Gold and give them a new tee for the occasion. Of course the team that won the competition would recieve some small token for their effort.
It migh really be meaningful if we could have the returning students celebrate with the new Freshmen with ice cream or the like and maybe some games.
What are your thoughts about this? Randy
I like this idea - we incorporated some of these ideas in our discussion last Tuesday. I will invite you to the Google doc once I post it this weekend for you to see - and add your thoughts.
ReplyDelete